Where does the time go? Mom always said I was the kid that looked ahead-that I was impatient with the present and in too much of a hurry for the future. When it was winter, I wanted spring, spring summer. Well, it's a few weeks early yet, but Goodbye 2012, Hello 2013!!
What I have gotten much wiser about over the years is understanding the importance of the past, without letting it dictate everything you do in the future. 2012 was a sucky year for me, both in terms of races, general running, and in other aspects of life. I've been thinking quite a bit about what I could do differently so I (hopefully) don't repeat that same performance this year. I'd really like to meet the goals I set for myself.
1) You are what you eat- no seriously...you are. It is incredibly important to pay attention to the kinds of things you are eating so you can stay healthy and run. I was sick with some kind of nasty cold on and off the whole year. So, DH hid the scale from me and instead I am just paying attention to the kinds of foods I am eating.
2) Dream Big, Work Even Harder- it is important to have big dreams, but that means very little if you don't intend to work hard for those dreams. This is something I am constantly striving to be better at.
3) Don't let a bad run, or several, make you give up- For most of us, running is painful. Perhaps we are all masochists, but running is not easy most of the time. If you have to, leave the watch at home and remember that consistency matters.
4) Do a 5k for fun- for no other reason than just to be out there with your fellow runner and walker folk. It is rejuvenating to see everyone.
5) Volunteer for a race- the last couple of years I have raised money or volunteer directed a race and it has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.
These are my 5 lessons learned and my 5 goals to keep in mind for 2013. What are your goals?